Sunday, June 19, 2016

My First Encounter with Minions Language

I am not a big fan of animated movies and which makes obvious that I don’t follow them. Couple of weeks ago, I visited my sister where I happened to watch this movie, MINIONS. I know, I know, this movie is a year old (my 8 year old niece told me) and I watched it just recently, with her. Of course, it wasn’t first time for her watching that movie but it was for me and yeah, I came to know about minions language.
I know what minion looks like; I have seen them before, here and there, TV commercials and stores. They are yellow in color and cylindrical in shape. All of them wear goggles. I find that strange. Why? Why do they all have to wear those goggles? In the movie, it is shown that they originated in the ocean and later came to land and they were already wearing goggles. And I don’t understand why??
                      
Assuming the movie was in English language, I sat there to watch. But no, the whole movie wasn’t in English. The narration was in English; all the characters were speaking English except minions. Minions are the main characters and I don’t understand what the fudge are they speaking. The minions language was gibberish but I was laughing when they speak. Their facial expressions were amazing.
With little Internet digging, I came to know that the language of the minions is called Minionese. This language, also known as banana language, is the fusion of languages from different countries over the world. The only words I managed to grab from what minions said in the movie were ‘banana and ‘buddies’ because they are English words. The rest was animated sounds with the expression and tone that just made me laugh.


My niece introduced the protagonists of the movie to me, the three main minions: Kevin, Stuart and Bob. Kevin appears to be the leader of his tribe and he seems to be taller among others. He is responsible and takes care of others. Stuart is happy and carefree soul. He plays his ukulele and sings and eats bananas. He is a rockstar.  And bob, he is baby in the trio. He has a big heart and loves his friends. He always carries his toy teddy bear, Tim.

I agree with my niece that only the minions make us laugh, other characters are there to fill the little gaps in the movie. When the movie ended, my cheeks were hurting. I hadn’t expected to laugh that much at the beginning of the movie. Now I am planning to watch this movie again along with Despicable Me and Despicable Me 2, as I have learned what minions speak. Also I find these yellow balls interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment